Wednesday 7 May 2014

New and digital media; stories#30 - mr halsey

Link: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/health/article-2622266/The-internet-paid-sex-change-Woman-seeking-gender-reassignment-surgery-raises-8-000-crowdfunding-just-24-HOURS.html

Title: The internet paid for my sex change: Woman seeking gender reassignment surgery raises $8,000 through crowdfunding in just 24 HOURS 

article-2622266-1DA4410600000578-930_634x336.jpg

  • - Samantha Allen was born a man and wanted surgery to create a vagina
  • - She was told it would cost $20,000 and her insurance would only pay part
  • - She took to a crowdfunding website to raise the rest of the money
  • - Amazingly, she reached the total in less than 24 hours and had the surgery
  • - This demonstrates how the use of new and digital media and websites; through social networking individuals are able to raise money for their own benefits and those online are willing to give it. 
  • - I’ve been called every anti-woman, anti-gay, and anti-transgender slur in the dictionary. 
  • - ‘I’ve read three thousand word e-mails from anonymous readers who just want to let me know that I’m a disgrace to my community.
  • - ‘So if you had told me last year that I would one day be tearfully thanking the internet for supporting my gender transition, I would have laughed in your face.’
  • No comments:

    Post a Comment